What's new
Poker Community, Innovative Online Poker Forums

Register with our online poker forums today to talk strategy, and play private freerolls with the community. Once signed in to your account, you'll be able to join the freeroll club using poker coins you earn from participating in discussions, and being active on our poker forums.

Private freeroll passwords are posted in a exclusive forum only accessible to freeroll club members.

Next Poker Community Freeroll - $25 StockPokerOnline Freeroll (Referral Code: BAWSEGRIND)

Passwords to all our games are posted in this link to freeroll club members.
Join Freeroll Club How to Earn Poker Coins?
Countdown to start of freeroll:
The freeroll has started! 1 HOUR late registration.
Join Freeroll ClubHow to Earn Poker Coins?

Do you need to know mathematics to succeed in poker?

Heatman

Poker Communist
Poker Coins
There are some mathematical concepts which poker is involved in. Some of them are probability, expected value, pot odds, equity and so many more. When a player understands these maths concepts and apply them in his decision making when playing, it helps with knowing when to bet, call, raise, or fold in any given situation.
Do you need mathematics to succeed in playing poker?

I think you need to be decent enough at math to count the outs you have in your hands to be a good player. The better your math doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a better player.

Having good math skills is definitely an advantage in poker. You can be successful with just basic math skills, but the faster you can figure out different percentages and such, the more of an advantage you'll have.

I think you need to be decent enough at math to count the outs you have in your hands to be a good player. The better your math doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a better player.
I feel that just a basic knowledge of maths is more than enough to get you by when it comes to playing poker. You really need to be a professor in maths before it's going to help you win in poker.

With Hold'em, I don't think so. It's luck of your hand with a touch of bluffing.

Surely there are statistics in hand, but I never really go in depth when I see 2 kings on the table and have 2, 4 or something... just fold.

I'm sure it helps! Like, basic counting, addition and subtraction but I wouldn't imagine degree-level math is going to give much of an advantage over high school math.